Top quality ballheads can support heavy loads, lock solidly, and move smoothly. All top quality ballheads are faster to use and inherently more stable than any 3-axis “pan-tilt” tripod heads. Aiming and horizon leveling can be accomplished as one instinctive motion, and rigid lockup takes just a quick twist of one control. The best ballheads also offer variable “drag” (tension) that makes them easy to control. Tripods with ballheads are also much easier to carry and pack than tripods with pan-tilt heads—no long, protruding handles.
At left is our BH-55 LR ballhead.
At right is the Manfrotto 229 pan-tilt head.
Tripods with ballheads are much easier to carry and pack than tripods with pan-tilt heads—no long, protruding handles.
The best ballheads will…
- be beautifully designed and machined.
- be super smooth; quick locking.
- be absolutely rock solid when locked and not “creep”, even when used with a heavy lens.
- be relatively compact compared to competing products, but can handle greater loads.
- be faster to use and easier to transport than any 3-axis, pan-tilt type of tripod head.
Also, Really Right Stuff ballheads have…
- a drag set knob with indicator scale. Now you can dial in the exact amount of drag that you want, and then repeat that setting for specific loads.
- dual drop notches to allow camera to be tilted 90° over into vertical or forward to shoot downward without repositioning the ballhead.
- exclusive drum & symmetrical progressive band brake to securely lock panning base.
- patented Really Right Stuff lever-release style quick-release clamps.
- their own custom padded pouch to protect the head from grit and dust.
Really Right Stuff delivers at every level—from tripods and ballheads, to clamps and plates; from the casual weekend shooter to the most demanding professional. Our equipment is used in over 120 countries around the globe by discriminating photographers. No matter the niche, Really Right Stuff strives to constantly create and innovate, and we'll help you learn to love your tripod.