When Bryan Geyer handed over the Really Right Stuff reins 10 years ago, he also conveyed his conviction that the success of the company hinged on getting every minute detail right, i.e., of staying true to our brand. Nowhere is this better illustrated than the choice of hex-socket screws to anchor our quick-release plates to the camera or lens. RRS has always rejected coin-slotted screws for this purpose, no matter how convenient it may appear at first blush because sufficient torque to properly fix the screw just can’t be generated with a coin.
The hex-key is an elegant solution for the purpose. Hex keys deliver more than enough torque for the job, are compact, inexpensive, and universally available (side note: the main screw on our plates can be operated with either a US standard 5/32” or a metric 4mm hex key). A couple years ago, we started including US-made Bondhus® hex keys with all our plates because of their unsurpassed dimensional consistency and ultra-high corrosion resistance.
A few factors have now led us to develop a more comprehensive tool choice for RRS gear:
- Our product line continues to evolve and expand leading to an ever-increasing number of tool requirements and types.
- We insist on using the exact right size of fastener for the intended purpose that is also most aesthetic. This means that we use a combination of US-Standard and Metric fasteners.
- You, our customers, have consistently requested an even more convenient way to bundle and carry the various required tools.
THE SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT TOOL
We started our search for the really right solution from day one, but in earnest nearly four years ago. The end result had to:
- Readily contain all tools required for any given
outing with RRS gear.
- Provide sufficient torque with minimal effort.
- Be pocket-able for immediate use as needed.
- Be stow-able in or on our TVC tripods.
- Be affordably attainable to our customers.
- Add value to our customers’ current stable of RRS gear.
- Be super-cool and unquestionably desirable.
Initially we strove to find an off-the-shelf solution that could be readily modified if needed to meet our requirements. We searched the world over and failed. Finally, we resolved to develop our own from the ground up.
MTX Multi-Tool User Manual
- Can stow inside TVC-3/2 Series center column so it’s always available when you need it.
- Can stow under your TVC-3/2 platform so it's always available when you need it (Note: remove MTX and re-install hook to platform before hanging weight from the hook).
- Driver handle is nicely textured for grip and comfortably fits the hand.
- 10 bits plus one stubby 3/16” hex key (for TVC-3/2 series leg-to-apex joint tension adjustment) fit conveniently inside the handle.
- Unique 3/16”-drive bits are compact and allow more tools in the handle.
- Cross-tip bits are JIS screw compatible, perfect for most small screws found in today’s cameras.
- Can be used as a portable height extender for the TFA-01 Pocket Pod.
- The threaded shaft and anodized butt-cap socket are 3/8”-16 industry-standard compatible.
- Extra bits are conveniently captured in their own holder, stowed in a compact screw-cap storage canister.
- Handsome black nylon handle contrasts beautifully with the stainless steel bit shaft & RRS maroon anodized butt-cap.
- The MTX is so compact and versatile you’ll want to outfit every camera bag and car glove box with one!